20070226

faithfulness..be near, oh, God

Colossians 1:9-14
9 We have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding,
10 so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God.
11 May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy,
12 giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light.
13 He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son,
14 in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.

Many people think that a commitment to Christ is something you make once-for-all. It’s like slapping down a million-dollar bill, thinking that your commitment is covered for the rest of your life: “OK, Lord, I’m emptying my wallet of all of its contents. Here’s that million-dollar bill-it’s everything I am and have and ever will have. It’s Yours. I lay down my whole life!”

I like that picture, but I would change it a bit. A commitment to Christ is surrendering everything you are and have, but instead of putting that once-for-all bill in the offering plate, living for Christ is more like giving a million dollars in single bills over your lifetime.

Commitment translates into faithfulness to Christ each moment of every day. Faithfulness at that place of temptation.
Faithfulness in a difficult trial.
Faithfulness as I’m walking into work, too busy for anyone but stopping for that person I know needs a word of encouragement.

Our commitment to Christ is something we lay down a little bit at a time over a lifetime.

The apostle Paul spent his million-dollar bill this way. He was faithful in persecution, faithful when his motives were misunderstood, faithful when he lacked the comforts of home and security. Why did he do it? He was laying down his life a day at a time. His driving ambition was to be found faithful—
worthy to bear the name of Christ.

He wrote about it all the time.
In Philippians 1:27 we read: “Let your manner of life be worthy.”
Ephesians 4:1 tells us: “Walk in a manner worthy of the calling.”
In Colossians 1:10, Paul prayed that we would “walk in a manner worthy of the Lord.”

Of all the ingredients that go into walking worthy of Christ, faithfulness tops the list. This goal drives the heart of every follower of Jesus Christ: “Today I want my life to be pleasing to Him. Tomorrow I want to keep doing this. Next week, next year, in 10 years, I still want to be devoted to Christ and His cause. I don’t know what’s coming, I don’t know what the cost will be, but I want to be found faithful.”


Living for Christ is like laying down a million dollars in single bills over
your lifetime.

What attitude do I harbor today
could hinder my faithfulness to
Christ over a lifetime? Show me,
Lord, how to be found faithful.

In what ways can I lay my life down
for You, Lord?

~ Our Journey Feb 9



be near
You are all
big and small
beautiful
and wonderful
to trust in grace through faith
but i'm asking to taste...

for dark is light to You
depths are height to You
far is near
but Lord, i need to hear from You

be near, oh God
be near, oh God of us
Your nearness is to us our good

be near, oh God
be near, oh God of us
Your nearness is to us our good, our good

Your fullness is mine
revelation divine
but, o, to taste
to know much more than a page
to feel Your embrace...

for dark is light to You
the depths are height to You
far is near, but Lord
i need to hear from You

be near, oh God
be near, oh God of us
Your nearness is to us our good

be near, oh God
be near, oh God of us
Your nearness is to us our good,
our good

~ shane barnard

0 comments: