20090210

Exposition into Child-likeness - The Malleable Heart

Let me begin this exposition by saying that I really am not too sure if I'm taking these verses out of context, so please forgive me and correct me if I am wrong.

'At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them and said, "Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven."'
~ Matthew 18: 1-4

These verses, especially the last two puzzled me. Indeed, I still have a few more little details to work out.

Here is what I don't quite understand:
'"... Whoever humbles himself like this child..."'
What does it mean to humble yourself like a child?
Is a child humble to begin with?

So I decided to explore a few characteristics that most children possess, traits that perhaps most adults, or even teenagers and young adults have lost, in hopes that some corner of the veil between us and understanding be lifted, in hopes that we at least catch a glimpse of the Truth behind Jesus' words.

Do you ever notice that children ask a lot of questions? And I mean a lot. I remember passing through a playful phase where no matter what answer I was given, I'll take it in, but I want to get to the very bottom, to understand the subject in all its glorious totality. So I'll say after each answer, "yes, but why?" My uncle was game enough to provide me answer after answer, right until probably the eighth time I asked "why" and I was satisfied.

The "what" phase, the "why" phase, the "how"s, the "when"s, and "who"s...
Children don't seem to ever stop asking. Even simple things like learning to hold their chopsticks right and learning to read, they'd ask unabashedly. Trusting that the answer(s) they receive are true and correct.

Do you remember that time? When your parents especially are your heroes. They seem to know everything, do everything right in your eyes. From teaching us about the planets in our solar system and identifying star constellations, to drawing us a kitten for our art project, our parents seems the most talented people we've ever come across. We hang onto their every word as though it were precious stones or gold. It didn't matter if what we thought, if our own "common sense" were marked with a big red cross; what mattered was that now we know what is correct. I remember. I'm not sure if you still see your parents in that manner, though. I know I'm edging away from it.

And I think, at least for myself, the reason why I'm putting up speed bumps and hurdles that the information I learn from my parents and even teachers and friends, testing each one at the very least, is because I'm proud. I want to be able to say "no, that's not correct, but this is why..." to them, to stamp a huge angry cross on their answers. I want to be able to say their answers are wrong, but mine are correct. I want the credit when things go right, but shun it when things don't. I want to appear clever and intelligent.
Perhaps For others, at times it's not even because they're proud, but because they're stubborn. Before they even enter in to a debate, they've long since made up their minds that their way is the the right way. So even though they "listen", they toss the sheets of information the other party's feeding them with behind their backs so they're somewhere in their consciousness, but not studied and digested. All they know is it's their way, or the highway of misleading misconceptions. If others will not give way to them, they throw up their hands in disgust, shake their heads in obvious display of disagreement and stomp out the door.

But why is it so crucial that we turn and be open to suggestions, differing opinions, opposing viewpoints, and also encouraging ones?
First, answer me this: why did God create children to be so unashamedly inquisitive?
The obvious reply would be so that they can learn. They can learn and so grow up to be independent and "self-sufficient" in that they may be able to take care of themselves, getting a job, finding food and housing, etc. should their parents no longer be with them. The bottom line is so that they may learn the ways of living.
So we need, we must take on that inquisitiveness, that open, malleable heart in order to learn the ways of God, to grow into Christ-likeness.

This does not of course mean that we go about every debate and information imparting sessions with no background, no informed opinions and no filters; just blind trust. Definitely not! Rather it means that we tackle issues intelligently; with our experiences and information that we've harvested over the years, but at all times be ready to concede that we were wrong, to shove pride entirely out of the picture, to maintain a humble, teachable heart just like a child's.

So are we able to put aside our pride?
Are we able to στρέφω, to really twist and turn all the way round; to convert back into the way we once were, and put on the comparative rags of the humble?
Are we able to ταπεινόω, to really depress ourselves, our ego; to humiliate our hearts and minds, to become like a παιδίον, a child; an immature youngling?

Do we have a humble, teachable, malleable heart?

Do we possess sufficient humility to become like a child once more and grow and be educated in the ways of humble but proud, quiet but exciting royalty that only befits the children of the most high King, our Lord and God Almighty?

0 comments: