20090323

To-morrow

Legoland: a fun-filled place for the kiddies. Where the rides are tame and the queue is young, where the language is pure(r) and the attire less provocative.

I went to Legoland last Saturday thinking it'd be heaps of fun. It's probably not the funnest place on my list but it did take me back to my childhood days of Barbies, Tea sets and tricycles. It made me miss my family all over again, made me want to analyse each conversation I had with each family member as we passed the golden gates into the land of play, as we waited in line for our turn to ride the biggest, baddest coasters, as we ravenously devoured our meals.. It made me miss my friends with renewed vigour..

Seeing whole families, grandparents, parents, neighbours, aunts, uncles, friends, children, cousins.. together agitated worry to suddenly reach out and squeeze my heart.

I wondered what would happen to me next year after I graduate from the university.
See, schooling (especially in Singapore) has been rather a rather fixed and uniformed course for all, our experiences moulded and shaped by and around it:
(some of us enter) kindergarten,
then comes the compulsory 6 years of primary and 4 years of secondary education.
After which, the road forks into at least 4 possible routes. I took the junior college path.
2 years after college, I founnd myself in the university.
Come August, I would be embarking on my very last year of undergraduate studies.
And then..?

Where would I go?
What would I do?
Who will I meet?

Having spent my first 21 years out of an unknown total I have, dictated and guided by the people and institutions around me, my family, the government, &c., and now, facing the frightening future of uncertainty, of (almost) absolute freedom to choose and chart and commence across vast and unpredictable waters.. It is quite unnerving..

Will I have enough resources to strike out on my own and survive?
Will I not simply survive, but actually live?
Will I make new and keep old good friends?
Will I be married and have a family?
Will I find favour with God?

You never know what rickety bridge, what mountain pass, what raging river you will meet.
You never know what you'll find at each turn of the labyrinth, on every stepping stone you will step upon.

But while the future may seem like a gigantic, muscular, angry black bull hooving the sandy earth, readying itself to charge in your direction,

'Consider the ravens: they neither sow nor reap, they have neither storehouse nor barn,
and yet God feeds them.
Of how much more value you are than the birds!

And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?
If then you are not able to do as small a thing as that, why are you anxious about the rest?

Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin,
yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
But if God so clothes the grass, which is alive in the field today, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven,
how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith!

And do not seek what you are to eat and what you are to drink, nor be worried.
For all the nations of the world seek after these things, and your Father knows that you need them.
Instead, seek his kingdom, and these things will be added to you.

Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.
Sell your possessions, and give to the needy.
Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approches and no moth destroys.

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.'

~ Luke 12: 24-34

I don't know exactly where I'll find myself at each complete orbit of the Earth around the sun, but this I know:
I shall keep my eyes on His face,
my feet shod and pointed His way,
my hands tightly gripping His
and my heart and mind on Him.

And I shall see you all at our final destination:

Heaven.

1 comments:

dae said...

i don't know what will happen to me after i graduate either.

i do have some teeny inkling as to where i'm headed but i need to pray about it.

but dear girl thanks for the reminder about my final destination. i look forward to being there with you! :)