20090121

With a Thankful Heart

I just had another crazy thought!

I love Christmas.
It means life, it means family, it means love.

While I am here in Guildford, I find myself thanking God for a great many things, things that I probably would never have sincerely thanked God for were I still in Singapore.

I thanked God for the internet, through which I am able to stay connected to my family and friends back home and even over here.
I thanked God for water heaters and radiators so I can keep warm in this cold.
I thanked God for YouTube that I may entertain myself while waiting to fall asleep.
I thanked God for this opportunity to travel to a foreign land.
I thanked God for music that fills uncomfortable silences.
I thanked God for fashioning us in the likeness of Him, that we too are creative mini-creators!
I thanked God for who He is, being able to come with me, no matter where I go.
... ... ...

It's still about the beginning of the year, so try this:
get out your Christmas tree, or if you're lazy just wipe clean a clear window pane.
then everytime you catch yourself thanking God for something, not in jest but very sincerely,
write it down on a piece of paper.
get a bit of sticky tape or bluetack and stick it onto the tree or window (whichever you choose).

This is a year-long project, so don't lose steam!
Keep going!
I'll be you'll find as you keep doing it, it'd be like drinking sweet wine after a long and arduous journey in the desert.

At the end of the year, sit down on Christmas Eve and read all you have written. Thanking GOd all over again as you remember each experience, each grateful moment.

I think thankfulness, the ability to say thank you in truth and all sincerity, is a spiritual gift. Some of us find it easy to do, some harder. Regardless, we have much to be thankful for. The bed we have to sleep in at night, the food on the table, the air to breathe, water to bathe, Bibles we can read, quiet areas in which we can spend time seeking God's counsel, our very life...

Many many ways with which we can employ to thank our God, to worship Him, to show Him our gratefulness.
Some of us sing, some dance, some create artistic works, some write, and some proclaim or shout!
It really is fantastic watching and learning all these ways creative man uses to praise our creative Father.

May you learn to possess an observant eye,
an alert nose,
sensitive skin,
a hungry tongue,
and receptive ears.

May you learn to see what the Lord sees,
and feel what the Lord feels,
and hear what the Lord hears.

May your heart be as moulding clay,
that it should be fashioned in the hands of the Potter
to rejoice and ache and be still and scream
as He does.

May each morning find you raring to go,
and each night find you on your knees in heavy thankfulness.

May you seek the Lord at each turn of the pavement,
and may you find Him in the most unexpected places.

"... but be filled with the Spirit, addressing one another in singing and making melody to the Lord with everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ."
~ Ephesians 5: 18b - 21

0 comments: