20080720

Tale of the Prodigal's Son

I attended GoForth's last night session yesterday evening. Rev Dr David Wang's message was on the Christian's response to Asia's mission challenge. I remember him speaking about the parable of the prodigal's son and presenting it in a manner I've never heard before. I think it was a powerful presentation, filled to the brim with emotions, and interpreted in such a frank way that many would probably be able to identify themselves as the son, and God the father.

Personally, I could do without the drama.

But the one thing that I remember was the lesson that Rev Dr Wang drew from this parable.
And that was a lesson on attitude.

The son's words betrayed what was in his heart, his attitude, his outlook.

"Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me."
Before, the son's attitude was selfish.
"give ME what is MINE".
Gimme-gimme-gimme.

"I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee, and am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants."
Afterwards, the son realised his mistake, came to his senses if you like, and decided to return to his father. But not as the son of a respected gentleman, but as a hired servant.
The son was probably filled with shame and worthlessness and uncertainty when it dawned upon him of what he had done.
He returned home with a humbled heart. A heart that beats a self-less, broken rhythm. A heart that thumps "TAKE me and USE me as YOU will".

This change in attitude, this interpretation was what struck me. Possibly because I've never heard this observation and lesson drawn before from this parable. But perhaps it's also because pride and self-interest is something that I struggle with. It's not as big a monster as it used to be in my life, but it still pops by and says hello every so often.

Sometimes I catch myself acting in a selfish, prideful manner. And I wonder when am I ever going to totally let go, when will the day come when my thoughts, my actions will be motivated by only one, my one obsession, my one lover, my one God?

How can we seek God if our eyes are only resting on ourselves?

How can we hear God speak if our ears are tuned only to hear others praising us?

How can we say "Your will be done" if our feet will walk only where we want to go?

How?

0 comments: